Sigma Phi Epsilon was founded at the University of Richmond on November 1, 1901, on the cardinal principles; Virtue, Diligence, and Brotherly Love. Today, the Fraternity has grown to more than 262,000-lifetime members, including 13,500 undergraduates on 260 campuses in the United States.
On November 1, 1948, Warren Ransler, Ralph Hose, Doyle McOwen, and David Hastatler formed Sigma Psi Omega, the local fraternity. Two years later to the day, it was announced that the local fraternity would become the Ohio Kappa chapter of the national fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon. For more than 60 years since, the men of Ohio Kappa have been leaders, socially, athletically, and within campus organizations across BGSU.
The men of Ohio Kappa have been recognized over the past few years by both nationally and by Bowling Green State as being an outstanding fraternity. The national fraternity's most prestigious honor, the Buchanan cup(awarded every 2 years), was earned 9 times by the men of Ohio Kappa. In two of the past three years, they were awarded chapter house of the year at Carlson Leadership Academy for their outstanding 18 men on-campus house(largest on-campus). As well as earning BGSU recognition in 2014 for campus leadership, academics, and recruitment.